Friday, June 20, 2008

Toekken! (Hello in Norwegian)

Greetings to Everyone from the North, North Atlantic! We have been out to sea since Sunday evening and let me tell you….it’s freezing! Unlike my predecessors who enjoyed equatorial climates and conditions, it has been pretty gray and overcast since we left Halifax. I have been told that the nearest land to us right now is Greenland, which is over 700 miles away. We are ahead of schedule and the captain has informed us that there are some storms up ahead, which should make for a rocky next couple of days. I will keep you posted. We are currently 5 hours ahead of EST, and are looking to gain an hour on Saturday and one on Sunday, so by the time we get to Bergen, we will be 7 hours ahead.

I know that all of you have been asking for pictures and I promise that is on my list of things to do in the very near future. I have been snapping away and have some pretty good ones thus far. However, a lot of students and faculty have spotted whales and dolphins swimming alongside the ship, and I have yet to see one, so I am hoping that before we get to Bergen I can get a National Geographic-like shot.

The last few days have really been students adjusting to ship life. We have had some sea sickies, but over all they are doing pretty well. I had my first “Sea” dinner last night, and about 45 students showed up, which I thought was a pretty good turn out. All of them seem pretty cool and I look forward to getting to know them more. We have had a few folks that indicated they are already homesick or don’t feel like they fit in, so in some ways, it’s freshmen year all over again. But hopefully once we start getting into ports, they will enjoy it more.

Wednesday night, I was invited to the Captain’s Dinner, which was pretty cool. It was a 5 course meal with the captain and his chief officers. I was seated at the Chief Engineer’s table, and he is a pretty suave Italian dude named Mario. The dinner was really delicious and lasted until 11 PM; it consisted of leek soup, salad, smoked salmon, filet mignon and flourless chocolate cake for dessert. I think that the wait staff is under strict instructions to fill up every wine glass that was less than half full as well. But don’t worry everyone, I behaved myself and was the model of couth J

Yesterday was a pretty busy day as I finished up putting together the intramural and group fitness schedules. The students are really craving activity aboard the ship, as some are starting to realize that their class loads are pretty rigorous and demanding. The students take class on Saturdays as well while we are at sea. We had a faculty and staff reception with the captain and his officers last night and then the RDs and the Teaching Assistants went to Speciality Dining last night. Speciality Dining on the ship is pretty cool—for $25 you can pay to have a five course meal and a glass of champagne in a private dining room…..so after eating well for two days, going back to regular cafeteria-style food today was a bit rough L

Not too much else to report for now. Although, the RDs are performing some hits from the musical Grease at the talent show tomorrow night; should be a hot mess and I can't wait. I didn’t have a chance to email Kate, but my grad student from last year is getting married today, so Kate, I am sending best wishes to you and Zach today and will be thinking about you this afternoon!

Pictures will be on their way in the very near future! Love you all….can’t wait to see land! Only three more full days at sea until Norway.



Love me!

3 comments:

Douglas said...

PICTURES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!please.

Unknown said...

pictures please..................................................

Brian said...

Awesome!!!!!

I ditto the pictures requets!